I mentioned last week that I’m making a small shift away from paleo and towards eating clean. There are a few reasons – the main two being sustainability and needing to get my entire family eating healthier – and I’m happy to say that we’re all eating a bit better already and I’m finding I’m far less obsessive about food (that’s a good thing). In a sense, I consider paleo to be sort of super clean eating, so all of the cookbooks I’ve been collecting and recipes I’ve put together are still good.
My only issue with clean eating? It’s is one those ideas that’s a little fuzzy because it’s so personal.
Here’s my version:
- whole foods based – as little processed and packaged as possible
- good fats – coconut oil, avocado, olive oil, clarified butter
- lots of vegetables and a reasonable amount of fruit
- organic and properly raised as much as the budget allows
- some whole grains and legumes and – gasp! – occasionally even some gluten*
- minimal refined sugars and sweeteners
- lean protein
How are you eating? Do you consider it clean?
*I’ve actually been eating some glutenous foods lately and haven’t had any issues. I’m still definitely trying to limit it in my diet, but I also have an 11 year old that is desperate to learn how to bake and will insist on me tasting things. I’m sticking with moderation for now, and we’ll see where it develops from there.