Generally, I’m all about whole foods.
Once in a while, I need something quick.
And sometimes, when my TMJ is making itself known, I need something with protein, carbs and fat in a drinkable version.
I’m not going to pretend that protein powder is perfectly paleo. It isn’t. It is awfully handy, though, when you need something to eat quick and your jaw hurts. I’ve spent a lot of years trying different protein powders, and all of them have made me sick – really, horribly sick regardless of what the ingredients were. After hours more research, I finally found Isopure and it works for me.
Side note: if you’re bored one day, try reading protein powder reviews. Some of them are pretty awesomely worded.
This Choco Avo Shake is my favorite right now. It’s thick and rich and creamy…and I feel like I’m drinking a chocolate milkshake, just without the stomach misery that comes with dairy. I tend to use it as a meal replacement, but it could also be split up into smaller, dessert sized portions.
Prefer not to use protein powders? Just leave it out. It’s still an awesome shake without it, with a few drops of vanilla added instead.
Choco Avo Shake
serves 1 (meal replacement size) or several (dessert size)
1 cup almond milk (homemade or unsweetened)
1 scoop protein powder (optional)
1-2 tablespoons raw cacao powder (or cocoa powder)
1/2 banana (optional)
- In the glass jar of a blender combine almond milk and avocado until smooth.
- If adding banana, blend next until no lumps remain.
- Add the protein and cacao powder and combine until smooth and chocolate-y.
- Pour into a glass and enjoy!
- Simply Sugar and Gluten Free’s Slightly Indulgent Tuesday
- Blessed with Grace’s Tempt My Tummy Tuesdays
- Balancing Beauty and Bedlam’s Tasty Tuesday
note: contains an affiliate link