I do try to limit the amount of time I spend staring mindlessly at the television, but there are a few shows I’m hopelessly addicted to. I find that at the moment, I’m far more into drama than comedies.
And while I call these drama, most of them are as much prime time soap operas as anything else.
I love a good soap!
Right now, here are my five favorite:
- Dallas – it was a given I’d be hooked, considering my favorite childhood memories are spending the night at my grandparent’s house on Fridays and getting to stay up and watch. Is it great television? Obviously not, but I love it anyway. And I intend to be fully in the ugly cry when they finally write in Larry Hagman’s death.
- Arrow – I have this thing for super heroes, and my favorites are the conflicted ones. I’m not even sure why I started watching this (it’s on the CW, for heaven’s sake!), but it quickly became one of the only new shows I watch this year.
- Justified – hands down, favorite drama ever. The storylines, the actors (umm…there may be a little Timothy Olyphant and Walton Goggins crushing going on), the dialogue – oh my gosh, that dialogue! There is nothing I watch sooner when it hits the DVR. Hillybilly Shakespeare.
- Ripper Street – this is a pretty new series on BBC America, and I can’t stop watching. I love a good period piece and I love a good serial killer. Combine them, especially as well as they are here, and I’m in.
Also, Matthew McFayden.
- Downtown Abbey – I’ve been a Downton fan since the very beginning. Like Ripper Street, it combines so much of what I love – costumes, grand homes, soap operas, British accents – and I love that The Girl and I enjoy it together.