This has been one of our favorite dinners for at least 3 or 4 years now. It’s perfect for cooler weather, is wonderful for busy days and usually gives me at least a few lunches worth of leftovers – all things I absolutely love in a recipe.
It’s also simple – there’s not many meals that are easier than throwing a chicken, onions and seasonings in a slow cooker and turning it on!
I’ve made a few changes since I first posted it on my family blog. Less salt. More onion. Added the gravy, inspired by Nom Nom Paleo’s Slow Cooker Roast Chicken and Gravy (which is brilliant, by the way). It still seems odd to me that no liquid is added, but it isn’t needed. I always end up with cups and cups of it, and the meat is still juicy and tender.
I usually serve it with mashed cauliflower for myself and mashed potatoes for The Pastor and kids.
Spiced Slow Cooker Chicken and Gravy
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1.5 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 large roasting chicken (with pop-up timer if possible)
- 1 good sized onion, chopped
- Combine spices in a small bowl.
- Remove giblets and clean chicken.
- Rub spice mixture on chicken.
- Optional step for those who are planning ahead: place in a Ziploc bag and refrigerate over night.
- When ready to cook, place the chopped onion in the bottom of the crockpot.
- Add chicken, breast side down.
- No liquid is needed – the chicken will make it’s own juices.
- Cook on low 4-8 hours (depends on your slow cooker and the size of your chicken).
- Remove the chicken to a plate to serve.
- To make gravy: blend the juices and cooked onion until smooth using an immersion blender in the slow cooker or transfer to a regular blender. Taste and adjust for seasoning.
Recipe shared at: